The N.C. Defenders
were formed in Shiloh Township on May 25, 1861, shortly after North Carolina officially seceded from the Union. They enlisted on May 30,
1861, at Shiloh.
Union NC Co. D formed at Shiloh Baptist Church in 1863.
Draper’s column from Wild’s Expedition camped here on 17
According to Gen. Wild’s report:
“He had had
three encounters with guerrillas. At Shiloh they made
a strong night attack, driving in his pickets and pouring in volley after
volley upon his camp fires. But Colonel Draper had previously withdrawn all
his men to sleep inside the church, leaving the fires burning. The picket
reserve having been secretly posted, returned the
fire and drove away the enemy before the colonel could form his men and reach
them. He pursued them in vain.”