Fletcher GAR Post #20

Elizabeth City, NC

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Fletcher GAR post was organized in Elizabeth City on 5 November 1885, meeting on a regular basis in the old Normal School House. T.T. Whitcomb, 1893 Virginia and North Carolina Department Commander, was instrumental in the formation of this post. The post was comprised of black former Union soldiers and sailors.

 

According to the 15th Annual Encampment of the Department of Virginia records, Jacob Hollins was commander of the new post. Riley G. Lee attended the encampment as a Fletcher Post delegate.

 

Early leaders of the post included Moses Spencer, Francis Turner, Jordan Jones, and Albert Eldridge. Riley Midgett served as Post commander in 1887. Spencer served as commander for the post from 1888-1902. Frances Turner took over as commander in 1903.

 

Through the efforts of T.T. Whitcomb, the Fletcher Post hosted the 27th Annual Encampment of the Virginia and North Carolina Department on 27 April 1898 at the Pasquotank County Courthouse.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The following men have been identified as members of Fletcher GAR POST #20 thus far:

 

 

 

 

 

Isaac Bunch USS Ironsides

Henry Burgess Co. B, 35th USCI

Albert Eldridge

Sgt. John Gibbs Co. H, 35th USCI

William Grissom Co. D, 1st USCC

Jacob Hollins Co. L, 1st USCI

Jordan Jones Co. D, 1st USCC

Sgt. Albert Jordan Co. A, 36th USCI

Jerry Lamb Co. F, 35th USCI

Sgt. John Laws Co. C, 35th USCI

Riley G. Lee 35th USCI

Riley Midget Co. F, 36th USCI

Benjamin Moore Co. B, 35th USCI

1st Sgt. Allen G. Oden Co. B, 36th USCI

Moses Spencer Co. H&I, 37th USCI

George Sutton Co. A, 36th USCI

Thomas Trueblood USN; Co. B, 35th USCI

Francis Turner Co. F, 37th USCI

Edward Vaughn Co. F, 37th USCI

Isaiah Wilson Co. A, 2nd USCC

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The North Carolinian, 22 May 1889

Local Mention. The members of Fletcher Post G.A.R., are taking up the bodies of their dead comrades and having them reinterred in the Colored Cemetery.

 

The Fletcher GAR Post purchased plots within Oak Grove Cemetery in 1889. Photos of some of the graves can be seen here.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back